Not a tourist guide but can SAVE MONEY AND PROTECT yourself from "RISKS"; compliment the good services and feedback the poor performance for improvement! Though China is changing fast but still there are many useful experiences that you need to know for sharing.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Dalian Female Police

For the time being only city Dalian of Northern part of China has Female Police riding on horses.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

China Police - Gong An

Originally there is only one common name for the China Police – “Gong An” ( the meaning is public for Gong and safety is for An).
These few years the “Gong An” is translated into English as “Police”. Even in Hong Kong we called the Immigrant Officer, in China it is also called “Gong An”.

However, in some of the cities, they still use the Chinese pin yin “Jing Cha” (the Chinese name for police) that you can see printed at the back of the “Gong Au” jacket. Therefore when you see the “Jing Cha” , it is the same as “Police” .

Also when you see the car plate with “GA” in front of the plate numbers, that means it is the “Police” car.

For the China emergency telephone numbers for the Police Department is “110”

In 2006 year end, people can report the traffic accidents and fire cases with the same telephone number “110”.

(The Fire Department telephone number is “119”. The Traffic Department telephone number is “122”. For the Ambulance help is “120”)

For the Public telephone enquiry is “114” (Shops/Restaurants/Hotels etc.).

Though most of the China area is covered with telephone communication networks but there are still some rural places without network. Somehow the telephone still can use the Emergency “GPS” telephone number “112”

All the above mentioned telephone numbers are applied to all the cities within China.

Friday, August 17, 2007

China Departure Forms

The China Departure Forms are applied to all the major cities with International Airlines Airports.

1. The Health Form (same as the Health entry form) - You have to present this form to the Health Department Officer while entering the flight check-in counter.

2. The Customs Form for the outgoing passanger for baggage declaration (Blue Colour) - Please make sure if you have purchased the China “Antique” products, please make sure the shop can issue a permit of the “Antique” products verification. You should bring the “Antique” products, the permit and the official invoice to the Customs for declaration.

3. The Departure Card - Present together with your passport to the passport checking officer.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Entry Forms

The flight attendant will distribute the China entry forms during your flight to China before landing. (same by ferries and train)

1. The Health Form - present to the Medical Department Officers when landed on ground. Please remember to write down your contact telephone numbers.

2. The Entry Card - just fill in as required. Present to the passport checking points Officer together with your passport. (We Hong Kong people call Immigration Officer while in China called Police)

One time I used the English Entry Card form because I couldn’t find the Chinese Entry Card form but I was told to use the Chinese Entry Card because my ID is recorded as Chinese by the passport checking point police.

3. The Customs Form - please read the rules. After take back your check-in luggages please choose Green (nothings to declare) or Red (carry things that need to pay tax or expensive things that need to record and take back to your country) Channel. Present the form to the Customs Officer.

Departure from Hong Kong Airport to China

If you are going to China from Hong Kong by plane or plane back to your country, you need to check your hand carry bag that fit the Airport's new requirement. Or else you have to check-in your hand carry bag. Other countries probably have the same requirement.
This also applies to all the Airports in China too.

Monday, August 13, 2007

PRC Money

The one cent note is very seldom used these day.

The ten dollars has a broken corner. You can take this broken corner money to bank and exchange for a new ten dollars note.

Please note that if your country money notes with broken corner, the Hotel will not exchange for you. You can only go to the bank to exchange your country notes to PRC currency.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Characteristic of Hong Kong and Mainland China Chinese People

There are certain different characteristic between Hong Kong and Mainland China people. Mainland China/PRC (People’s Republic of China)has taken back Hong Kong for 10 years (from 1st July 1997). Many things have changed. In the past, Hong Kong was governed by the British. Therefore, we, Hong Kong Chinese, were under the western education. Hong Kong is an opened market. Hong Kong people have to fight for themselves in order to survive. Whereas in mainland China, government has to take care all, just like a whole family.

We, Hong Kong Chinese, are more lucky than those Mainland China people. Our economy and culture are much more westernized, more systematic and advance, especially in mind-set and integrity awareness. China is just the beginning that Hong Kong has gone through. Hong Kong is 21th Century whereas Mainland China is in the 60s and 70s. Though China’s hardwares (buildings, decoration etc.) are chasing very fast but the softwares (thinking, mind-set and working attitude) and people’s mind-set have at least 10 to 15 years difference.

However, China will be the focal points in the coming years in terms of economy. Hong Kong S.A.R. will soon merge into China. I mean the system. There are still 40 years as a S.A.R.

Before 1st July 1997, foreigners will have to stop in Hong Kong first then apply the China visa to China. That’s why Hong Kong’s economy was much much better. When China opened the market, foreigners can go to China directly.
There are a big different living standard between Hong Kong and mainland China. Living cost in China is almost one third of Hong Kong. If you live in China rural cities, the living cost is even only one fifth of Hong Kong.